Frank Arcilesi (Author)

All ebooks on the sidebar are available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords, Kobo, Apple, Scribd, Powells. and other fine websites.

Saturday, December 11, 2021

Carnival Glass




"What is this anyway, Mister?" I asked as he handed it to me. I had just won it by tossing a penny over a wooden barrier, which bounced around seemingly without direction until it finally landed in the middle of it somehow.

The crusty old guy in charge of the stall of a local carnival squinted at me and said. "Why it's a fine piece of glassware your mother will be proud to display in her kitchen cabinet, son. Then he winked and leaned forward toward me slightly and whispered, "But around here us folks call it carny glass."

That was a long time ago, but it was my personal introduction to what is now called Carnival Glass: a small marigold colored candy dish with an iridescent quality to it. The hallmark of Carnival Glass is that iridescent sheen over a colorful piece of art glass in various designs and shapes. I took my candy dish home where it did find a home in the kitchen cabinet, mostly prized because I had won it at a local carnival in my hometown of Baltimore.

Years later after I had grown and moved away from the old neighborhood, I was reminded of it as I was rummaging around an antique shop in search of some old collectible beer trays. Amidst a fine display of old glassware was an assemblage of carnival glass pieces. Vases, candy dishes and composites in various colors, but all with that iridescent shine were neatly displayed.

The prices ran the gamut from inexpensive to very expensive and I must confess I could not tell why one piece was more expensive than another. I found them all interesting though.

My introduction to these pieces had come so long ago in a local carnival set up in a vacant lot between two stretches of row houses in Baltimore. That introduction had not been notable but now as I gazed at the display in front of me, my curiosity got the best of me. That and the sudden flashback to my childhood sent me back to do a little research on these pieces.

I went to my local library to find out more about them. Guess I could have fired up the computer but I felt that I preferred the ambiance of a quiet corner in the old library where I could sit down with a few good reference books and go back in time so to speak.

The librarian pointed me in the right direction-to the reference books and the quiet corner. There's always something that touches my heart about a dedicated librarian, as well a fine spaghetti dinner in Little Italy-the latter would have to wait.

I pulled out a few books from the shelf and sat down in an old leather chair. My mission was not to become an expert on the stuff but just to get enough knowledge to understand what they were all about. I was fascinated by the iridescent shine these pieces had. Also, I did not want to feel stupid the next time I was standing in front of a collection of this glassware. Mission accomplished.

I suppose one can say the real beginning of Carnival Glass dates back to the discovery of ancient glass, mostly Roman glass which when discovered buried in ruins had a natural beautiful iridescent finish, caused by the interaction of chemicals in the ground over time.

In the latter part of the 19th century several manufacturers, most notably Tiffany, tried to duplicate the silken finish by dissolving chemicals in the molten glass followed by various stages of re-heating with a final spray of a metallic solution before final firing.

The beautiful art glass pieces achieved by this process were widely admired but they were definitely not in the price range of the common person. Not until the mass production era of the early 20th century when pressed glass was introduced, did someone produce silken finished pieces for the budget minded masses.

In 1905 Frank Fenton started the Fenton Glass Company with his brother John. By 1907 they had produced a cheaper alternative to the high priced iridized pieces of other manufacturers by spraying the pressed glass with metallic salts before the final firing stage. Although these pieces were mass-produced, they were hand finished with various hand formed edges. Fenton referred to these iridized pieces as 'Venetian Art.'

The home of Carnival Glass became the USA as the Fenton Company became part of the big five American manufactures of Carnival Glass. The other four were the Northwood Glass Company, the Imperial Glass Company, the Millersburg Glass Company, and the Dugan Glass Company, which later became the Diamond Glass Company. Of all five, the Fenton Glass Company remains the only manufacturer still in existence today, although they stopped manufacturing Carnival Glass from the early 1930's through 1970.

The heyday of production was from 1907 until 1921, which has become known as the classical period of production. Sometimes referred to as 'poor man's Tiffany,' these pieces were the rage through 1918 after which interest began to fade. By the beginning of the 1930's American factories had stopped making them and production shifted to foreign manufacturers.

It wasn't until the late 1950's that the early pieces became desirable collectibles. Unfortunately, most manufacturers did not mark their pieces for the most part and many copied their competitor's designs making it difficult for even experts to ascertain the origin of a piece. One notable exception was the Northwood Glass Company which marked its glass pieces with an underlined and circled 'N.'

During the early 1900's these attractive inexpensive pieces of art glass were given away as prizes at carnivals. However, the term 'Carnival Glass' did not come into existence until the late 1950's.when collectors became interested in them. Then their heritage as give away prizes at carnivals earned them the name we know them by today.

During the heyday of production, these beautiful pieces could be purchased for under a $1 and came in various shapes including plates, bowls, tumblers, glasses, vases, compotes, pitchers, decanters, wine glasses, candy dishes, creamers, baskets, candlesticks, and various other specialty designs.

Colors ranged from marigold, the first color produced to green, blue, amethyst, white, red, and pastel shades. Today, marigold is the least desirable while the pastels are the most desirable. Designs can be found in floral, fruit, and animals. Grape and cable designs are very popular.

Besides the color, shape and the design of the pieces, these pieces were produced in several finishes: satin, radium, pastel and electric-satin being the most common.

The satin finish is smooth with a glow. Radium has a shiny watery and transparent appearance. The pastel pieces, produced mostly by the Northwood Glass Company, exhibit very light colors. Finally, the electric finishes have a bright mirror-like finish applied mostly to dark colors.

As stated, even collectors have problems tracing the manufacturers of these pieces. If the bug gets you and you become seriously interested in collecting this glassware, you should invest some time in doing some serious research. But don't do it in a lumpy leather chair as I did.

Flea markets, antique shops and of course, Ebay, are good places to find Carnival Glass pieces. Be sure you have a good basic understanding of these pieces before you start hitting the flea markets. Recently produced pieces obviously aren't as valuable as old ones; and of course, there are plenty of fakes around, so buyer beware. Value is determined by age, manufacturer, condition, finish, design and color.

But even the inexpensive pieces look good on any shelf. Your own personal collection should be just that -- a collection representing your personal tastes, regardless of cost. I have an inexpensive marigold candy dish in my collection that I'm quite fond of.